This was the first "real" Mailbox album. Originally recorded in 1995, it was time to revisit and painstakingly remix the debut album. The result doesn't just sound a lot better but it has more energy and life and I was able to present an additional albums-worth of bonus material. Read more
- Another hilarious weiting session with the Skillmanator.
- He suggested rhyming “here” with “rear.” I suggested to instead rhyme “what” with “butt.”
- I got a new laptop. I’ve spent the last few days loading it up with all software. Its zippy!
- I’m going to try recording a whole tune at 96/24. Let’s see if it keeps up.
Drive the Cold Winter Away
- I’ve prepared the guitar and drum mics and pre-mixes
- Aiming to lay it all down Saturday.
- Had another productive video chat with Greg to iron out some issues with the final two scenes. Once again, the simplest answers are the best answers.
- The next-to-last scene should be done this week. This is all, of course, just the first draft.
- My computer is dying. All kinds of weird Windows error every time I try to start it up.
- New computer is on its way here. This will push a few recording projects back a week or two. Two, really. No bigz.
- The recording project with DonnCherie stalled out a month or two ago due to life obligations and each of us being stumped about what to do next.
- DonnCherie set up a video conference with us and Myra Flynn-Wills. Myra helped us focus our thoughts and approach. Great to have an outside opinion and somebody who can translate Adam-to-DonnCherie and back.
- Basic track session scheduled for two weeks from now.
- Purchased new crash cymbal and stand. Needed a second one and music store finally reopened.
- Swapped out Audix f15 drum overhead pair with Audix f9 pair. Instantly noticed smoother high end (cymbals are not as smeary) and fuller lows.
- Dialed in new acoustic guitar sound.
- Shure KSM32 on neck
- Audix i5 on bridge (formerly my snare mic!)
- Began remix for possible Whale Helmet feature
- Re-recorded acoustic guitar
- Connected two office dividers to make a vocal booth.
Elephants of Scotland (?)
- Continued work on new song using bits and pieces from several EoS jams and other ideas.
- Working title: Never Return
- “Gen X Speed Dating” sketch I wrote a few months ago was performed for “Quarascenes” webcast.