This was the first "real" Mailbox album. Originally recorded in 1995, it was time to revisit and painstakingly remix the debut album. The result doesn't just sound a lot better but it has more energy and life and I was able to present an additional albums-worth of bonus material. Read more
- Get Lost remixing is done. Just some mastering tweaking to do (fade outs/levels/etc)
- Didn’t actually record my guitar parts yesterday. Going to do so tonight. Promise.
- Get Lost remix project is 9/10 done (I think)
- Couldn’t find one of the synth patches that I really liked so I’m having to substitute it with a near (but not quite) match. If I end up happy with it then I just have one more song to mix.
- In the process of looking for that synth setting, I finally came across the high-resolution versions of the “What’s In The Box?” images that Kyle made 20 years ago (!). I’d figured they were lost ages ago.
- side note: I remixed most of What’s In The Box? and My Little Friend not too long ago with the intention of re-releasing them. Never did follow through on that.
- More practicing. Just about ready to lay down rough guitar tracks.
- Reading first part of first draft of movie project I’ve been asked to score. Fun!!! Can’t wait for this one to … take off. (Can’t share any details yet.)
Another week round-up.
Chameleon in a Kaleidoscope
- Remix/remaster is done.
- There will be more bonus tracks than there are regular tracks!
- Not including the story from the original release because, well, it just wasn’t good.
- Now just finding the right time to release.
- Thought about starting some new recording but couldn’t be bothered. So I started giving get Lost a fresh coat of paint for release to the streaming services.
- So far the improvements are subtle but fantastic.
- Thanks to co-producer Chris Combs for the tip on Google docs’ excellent OCR abilities to convert the Chameleon In A Kaleidoscope story. I’ll be doing some final edits/fixes tomorrow but it’s 99% done as is.
- Made “Sumadatym” for Chameleon bonus tracks. Greg had recorded a poem reading on the “Everybody Out” tracks back in 1995 but I didn’t know what to do with it at the time. Kind of gave it the “Losing Childhood” treatment.
Another round-up of the last few days.
- Recorded episode 9 “Heliopause” but haven’t edited it yet.
- This will be last recorded episode for this season. (Things Fall chat from March will be episode 10)
- Greg and I started talking about what’s next for this podcast. Format may change, just brainstorming right now.
- Chameleon remix project is complete. All mastered with two bonus tracks.
- New version of cover is done which brings the artwork back to its original aspect ratio.
- I want to listen to it a few more times before committing but I think it’s all set.
- I don’t want to release it right now, though. It would be inappropriate due to world events. This can wait.
Adam Rabin solo
- Finished new recording of “Heliopause”
- Greg and I agree it is inferior to the original demo from January.
- I added piano to original demo and called it done.
- I may do something with the new recording – some kind of instrumental re-arrangement.
- Chameleon mixing continues. Making final tweaks to Yellow Bus and such.
- Edited episode 8 “Vibbis T’Quahlahhop” to a tight 18 minutes.
- Greg and I agree that the shorter length is more enjoyable.
- Released Vibbis to Bandcamp and streaming services.
- Began work on remixing The Yellow Bus.
- Tape speed on this tune was more significantly off. I was able to adjust vocal pitch fine since it’s monophonic. I had to re-record the guitar, though. That went very quickly and easily.
- My final vocal verse sounds way off, though. Might need to get creative in fixing that bit.